Thomas Pocklington Trust delivers a free employment service, Works For Me, as part of our wider Employment Programme. Works For Me provides support to visually impaired people living in a London borough who are seeking paid employment as well as those who are already in paid employment who want to retain work through sight loss or are navigating a career change.
Our Employment Advisers help people develop skills to support the transition to the workplace, offer advice and information on navigating the job market through personal and social barriers, and provide representation and encouragement throughout their journey to attaining a sustainable and enjoyable career.
The support available through Works For Me includes:
- One-to-one support either face-to-face, over the phone, by post or email with a member of our Employment Team at various locations across London – this can be one-off or ongoing
- Employment information and updates distributed through our mailing list
- Drop-in sessions
- Representation or advice when speaking with recruiters and employers
- Peer-led events such as networking and workshops delivered by people who can share their experiences of working with sight loss
- Signposting to other specialist services such as counselling, rehabilitation, education or business start up.
The support offered can be tailored to individual needs. We encourage you to build your own path through the service, accessing whichever strands of support you feel meet your needs.
The service is open to anyone living in a London borough who is of working age (18-65) and has a visual impairment that they feel impacts on their opportunities for employment and career development. It is not necessary to be registered with a Certificate of Vision Impairment to receive support. You can either self-refer or be referred by an organisation.
Works For Me is an award-winning project. The pilot of the project won VISION 2020 UK’s Astbury Award 2016.
If you are interested in accessing the Works For Me service, contact our Employment Adviser Amardeep Tokhi
Call or Text: 07773 584 028.
Provide your name, number, email address (if applicable), borough of residence, a short explanation of your current employment situation and what support you are seeking.