In autumn 2013, we launched the Knowledge Exchange Network for the Sight Loss Sector (KEN) in partnership with RNIB and the National Centre for Social Research (NatCen). Supported by a grant from the Economic and Social Research Council, the network aims to extend the use of research knowledge and strengthen research capacity within the sight loss sector. The network will focus on supporting those working at local level to access the latest research and information.
The project has four strands:
- To deliver a series of regional workshops throughout Great Britain in 2014
- To run professional development training for those working in research, policy and communications roles within national sight loss organisations
- To create a knowledge hub where resources, tools and information can be accessed and shared
- To facilitate networking opportunities for those with an interest in research and information related to people living with sight loss
Regional Workshops - May - September 2014
Pocklington lead on delivering regional workshops. The last of which took place in Edinburgh on September 2014. You can download the flyer to learn more about the workshops.
Making Better Use of Research and Information: Knowledge Exchange Workshops for the Sight Loss Sector
The free one day interactive workshop helped attendees to improve the way they used research and information to inform funding bids, strategic planning and provision of services. The course addressed:
- What national surveys tell us about the health, employment and wellbeing of people with sight loss
- The information which is available in local regions on people with sight loss
- How to measure service outcomes and evidence impact
- How to stay in touch with, and influence, developments in research and information
RNIB demonstrated their sight loss data tool. This is still available to anyone who feels it would be useful to them.
These events have proved to be really successful, with delegates commenting on the practicality and usefulness of the session content and making the most of the networking opportunities available throughout the day.
"A very enjoyable and informative day. The most useful event I've been to for some time."
"Thank you again for such an inspiring day yesterday. I went away with so many ideas and a lot of energy!"
"A very productive day - it's not often you feel you've come away with so many useful tools and data."
The workshops are now finished but the locations and dates were:
Preston Galloway's - Monday 12 May
York Wilberforce Trust - Monday 19 May
Cardiff RNIB Wales - Monday 9 June
London RNIB Judd Street - Monday 14 July
Birmingham Concept Conference Centre - Tuesday 9 September
Edinburgh RNIB Edinburgh - Monday 22 September
The workshops are now finished but if you would like to know more about the KEN workshops contact email@example.com. Alternatively you can contact us on 020 8995 0880
The following NatCen publications may be of interest:
If you have any questions about research or statistics related to sight loss, then please contact the RNIB Knowledge Hub on 0121 665 4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To access recently developed resources, go to www.rnib.org.uk/research.