Viewed 7962 Times 0 Comments

Being diagnosed with sight loss does not automatically entitle you to welfare benefits, however registering as blind or partially sighted will ensure you have access to any payments for which you are deemed eligible.

The Attendance Allowance, Disability Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) are government benefits that help you meet the extra costs associated with sight loss and other disabilities. This includes any care you might require, or assistance to live independently. The difference between the payments is the age that you can claim them. The PIP is for people aged 16-64, DLA is for anybody under 16 and Attendance Allowance is for people aged 65 and over.

Contact the welfare rights team in your local council area for help and advice on claiming benefits. You can also visit an advice center.

The RNIB has also developed a benefits calculator specifically designed to help blind and partially sighted people, their carers and families find out what benefits they might be entitled to.

Was this answer helpful ? Yes (0) / No (0)