Jargon buster

Jargon Meaning
Studio Flat / bedsit A flat or apartment with no separate bedroom, the bed /
space for a bed is usually within the living area.
Tenure The legal arrangements which give you
the right to live in a house or apartment. This might be a tenancy, in which
rent is paid to a landlord (who owns the property), and owner-occupancy (in
which you own the property). ‘Mixed tenure
is also possible, in which you own a share of the property and pay rent on the
remaining share.
Choice-based letting system Instead of offering you a particular property, many
councils now run a system in which, once you have been accepted on the
waiting list, you can view available properties and bid for them, usually
Group Homes Group
homes are houses which are shared by up to six adults with disabilities.
Staff provide support, usually 24 hours a day.
Adult placement / supported lodgings These
arrangements (which are also often known as Shared Lives) match people who
need support with individuals and families in the community, who can provide
flexible support and accommodation in their own homes. This might be short
term, longer term or just during the day.
Support Tenancy Tenancy support aims to help a person with disabilities or
other support needs live independently in their own rented flat or house. The
support provided will vary depending on the person’s needs, but might include
help with managing money, shopping and managing the home.
Community Housing Networks Sometimes meaning community living networks, based on
people living in their own homes but sharing their skills and talents with
each other and with their communities.Also, sometimes meaning cohousing. Cohousing communities
are intentional communities, created and run by their residents. Each
household has a self-contained, personal and private home but residents come
together to manage their community, share activities, eat together. 
Security of tenure The right to stay in your home: different
types of tenancy offer different levels of security, meaning some tenants can
be evicted (made to leave the property by the landlord) more easily than
Assured shorthold tenancy This is the most common type of tenancy agreement in
England and Wales, especially with private landlords. The agreement runs for
either 6 or 12 months and the landlord does not need a reason to ask you to
leave at the end of this period. The short assured
tenancy in Scotland is similar.
Local Housing Allowance Rate Local housing allowance (LHA) is used to work out
how much housing benefit you can get if you rent your home from a private
landlord. The rates vary across the UK, depending on the cost of housing
in that area; and there are different levels, depending on the size of your
property/ household.
Lease – Sarah can we change this to ‘tenancy agreement’ A
tenancy agreement is a contract between you and a landlord. It lets you live
in a property as long as you pay rent and follow the rules. It also sets out
your rights.
Reasonable adjustments If you’re disabled, you may need your home to be
adapted or extra help when you want to rent a property. In some situations,
you may be able to ask your landlord or an estate agent to make changes to
your home or provide extra services. The Equality Act 2010 calls this the
duty to make reasonable adjustments.
Housing need Housing need refers to households lacking
their own housing or living in
housing which is inadequate or
unsuitable, who are unlikely to be able to meet their needs in the housing
market without some assistance
Priority band Councils decide who gets offered housing based on a
‘points’ or ‘banding’ system. Points and bands are based on housing need. For
example, you’re likely to be offered housing first if you:·       are homeless

·       live in cramped conditions

·       have a medical condition made
worse by your current home.

Once you’re high enough on the list, your council will
contact you about an available property.


Bedroom tax Officially known as the Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy
(RSRS).Where Housing Benefit claimants are assessed as having
more bedrooms than is necessary (‘under-occupying’), their rent eligible for
Housing Benefit will be reduced
Allocation policy A housing authority (a Council) allocates accommodation
when it:·       selects a person to be a secure
or introductory tenant of accommodation held by that authority

·       nominates a person to be a
secure or introductory tenant of accommodation held by another housing

·       nominates a person to be an
assured tenant of accommodation held by a housing association


Succession rights Secure and flexible tenants may be able to transfer a
tenancy to someone else, or, in some circumstances, pass on a tenancy to
someone when they die.In England, secure tenancies granted before 1 April 2012
can be transferred or passed on only once. For example, if you take over a
tenancy when someone dies, you can’t pass on the tenancy to someone else when
you die. Some secure and flexible tenancies granted from 1 April 2012 may
mean you can transfer or pass on your tenancy more than once – check your
tenancy agreement. 

A Scottish secure tenancy can be succeeded to by:

·       your husband, wife or civil

·       an opposite-sex or same-sex
partner, provided they have lived with you for at least six months

·       another joint tenant


The position in Wales is similar to Scotland for Council
and housing association secure tenancies.


Secure tenancies / Scottish secure tenancies As a secure tenant, you can normally live in the property
for the rest of your life, as long as you don’t break the conditions of the
tenancy. You’ll usually have a Scottish secure tenancy if you rent
your home from the council, a housing association or housing co-operative in
Assured tenancy Anan assured tenancy means that you can normally live in
your property for the rest of your life.
Brokerage service A way of enabling people with disabilities and their
families/advocates to understand the housing options available to them, which
option might best meet their needs, and then supporting people to actually
find and secure the right housing.
Local housing allowance For people renting from private landlords, Housing Benefit
(LHA) is based on a flat-rate ‘Local Housing Allowance’ (LHA) which is based
on the average of local market rents, covering areas known as Broad Rental
Market Areas.
VICTAR Visual Impairment Centre for Teaching and Research
Back to top

Share this page

Join our mailing list

Get the latest on our campaigns, news and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list

Join now

    Have you found this page useful?

    Please help us to improve our website by selecting one of the following options:

    If you would like to contact our team directly please email info@pocklington-trust.org.uk