Page no. Jargon Meaning
n/a Studio Flat / bedsit A flat or apartment with no separate bedroom, the bed / space for a bed is usually within the living area.
n/a Tenure The legal arrangements which give you the right to live in a house or apartment. This might be a tenancy, in which rent is paid to a landlord (who owns the property), and owner-occupancy (in which you own the property). ‘Mixed tenure is also possible, in which you own a share of the property and pay rent on the remaining share.   
n/a Choice-based letting system Instead of offering you a particular property, many councils now run a system in which, once you have been accepted on the waiting list, you can view available properties and bid for them, usually online.
p. 4 Group Homes Group homes are houses which are shared by up to six adults with disabilities. Staff provide support, usually 24 hours a day.
p. 4 Adult placement / supported lodgings These arrangements (which are also often known as Shared Lives) match people who need support with individuals and families in the community, who can provide flexible support and accommodation in their own homes. This might be short term, longer term or just during the day.
p. 4 Support Tenancy Tenancy support aims to help a person with disabilities or other support needs live independently in their own rented flat or house. The support provided will vary depending on the person’s needs, but might include help with managing money, shopping and managing the home.


p. 4 Community Housing Networks Sometimes meaning community living netwroks, based on people living in their own homes but sharing their skills and talents with each other and with their communities.


Also sometimes meaning cohousing. Cohousing communities are intentional communities, created and run by their residents. Each household has a self-contained, personal and private home but residents come together to manage their community, share activities, eat together.


p. 6 Security of tenure The right to stay in your home: different types of tenancy offer different levels of security, meaning some tenants can be evicted (made to leave the property by the landlord) more easily than others.


p. 6 Assured shorthold tenancy This is the most common type of tenancy agreement in England and Wales, especially with private landlords. The agreement runs for either 6 or 12 months and the landlord does not need a reason to ask you to leave at the end of this period. The short assured tenancy in Scotland is similar.
p. 6 Local Housing Allowance Rate Local housing allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much housing benefit you can get if you rent your home from a private landlord. The rates vary across the UK, depending on the cost of housing in that area; and there are different levels, depending on the size of your property/ household.
p. 7 Lease – Sarah can we change this to ‘tenancy agreement’ A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and a landlord. It lets you live in a property as long as you pay rent and follow the rules. It also sets out your rights.
p. 8 Reasonable adjustments If you’re disabled, you may need your home to be adapted or extra help when you want to rent a property. In some situations, you may be able to ask your landlord or an estate agent to make changes to your home or provide extra services. The Equality Act 2010 calls this the duty to make reasonable adjustments.
p. 12 Housing need Housing need refers to households lacking their own housing or living in housing which is inadequate or unsuitable, who are unlikely to be able to meet their needs in the housing market without some assistance
p. 12 Priority band Councils decide who gets offered housing based on a ‘points’ or ‘banding’ system. Points and bands are based on housing need. For example, you’re likely to be offered housing first if you:

  • are homeless
  • live in cramped conditions
  • have a medical condition made worse by your current home.

Once you’re high enough on the list, your council will contact you about an available property.


p. 12 Bedroom tax Officially known as the Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy (RSRS).

Where Housing Benefit claimants are assessed as having more bedrooms than is necessary (‘under-occupying’), their rent eligible for Housing Benefit will be reduced


p. 12 Allocation policy A housing authority (a Council) allocates accommodation when it:

·         selects a person to be a secure or introductory tenant of accommodation held by that authority

·         nominates a person to be a secure or introductory tenant of accommodation held by another housing authority

·         nominates a person to be an assured tenant of accommodation held by a housing association


p. 14 Succession rights Secure and flexible tenants may be able to transfer a tenancy to someone else, or, in some circumstances, pass on a tenancy to someone when they die.


In England, secure tenancies granted before 1 April 2012 can be transferred or passed on only once. For example, if you take over a tenancy when someone dies, you can’t pass on the tenancy to someone else when you die. Some secure and flexible tenancies granted from 1 April 2012 may mean you can transfer or pass on your tenancy more than once – check your tenancy agreement.


A Scottish secure tenancy can be succeeded to by:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner
  • an opposite-sex or same-sex partner, provided they have lived with you for at least six months
  • another joint tenant


The position in Wales is similar to Scotland for Council and housing association secure tenancies.


p. 14 Secure tenancies / Scottish secure tenancies As a secure tenant, you can normally live in the property for the rest of your life, as long as you don’t break the conditions of the tenancy.


You’ll usually have a Scottish secure tenancy if you rent your home from the council, a housing association or housing co-operative in Scotland.


p. 14 Assured tenancy Anan assured tenancy means that you can normally live in your property for the rest of your life.


p. 16 Brokerage service A way of enabling people with disabilities and their families/advocates to understand the housing options available to them, which option might best meet their needs, and then supporting people to actually find and secure the right housing.


p. 19 Local housing allowance For people renting from private landlords, Housing Benefit (LHA) is based on a flat-rate ‘Local Housing Allowance’ (LHA) which is based on the average of local market rents, covering areas known as Broad Rental Market Areas.
p. 21 VICTAR Visual Impairment Centre for Teaching and Research.