Vital Tech: The new impartial guide to assistive technology
What is Vital Tech?
Vital Tech is a website which seeks to be an impartial, straightforward guide through the world of assistive technology in the UK. The site, supported by Thomas Pocklington Trust, provides an overview of products and resources which blind and partially sighted people may find useful in daily life. It has been developed by blind and partially sighted people, for blind and partially sighted people.
What is covered on Vital Tech?
Information on the Vital Tech site is presented under task-oriented themes. Here’s a summary of what’s currently available:
- Being organised – Banking and managing money, Identifying, Labelling and Locating, Timekeeping, and Writing and Recording
- Jobs around the house – Household, gardening and DIY tasks, In the kitchen, and Laundry and clothing
- Health and Wellbeing – Fitness and grooming, and Health and safety
- Staying in touch – Landlines, Mobile phones, and Using computers and tablets to stay in touch
- Computing – Computers, other devices and accessories, and Using computers and software
- Heating, lighting and access – Accessing and securing your home, and Heating and Lighting
- Relaxing at home – Accessing TV, Listening to music and radio, and Playing games
- Reading and magnifying – Magnifying, Reading, and Using braille
Every information page on the site has an integrated audio playback facility, enabling anyone to hear the text read aloud. There are also some basic demo videos showing accessible tech in action.
What is new on Vital Tech?
Keeping Vital Tech up-to-date will always be a top priority. The Laundry page was very recently updated to include information about the free tactile adaptation service Bosch offer for some of their appliances. Vital Tech are committed to ensuring the information published on their site remains as accurate and relevant as possible.
Getting involved with Vital Tech
Please have a look through the Vital Tech site and tell the Vital Tech team what you think. They really appreciate comments and suggestions for the site, particularly if you have ideas for articles, videos or features.. You can email your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vital Tech continues to grow becoming a trusted and valuable resource for anyone interested in assistive technology for blind and partially sighted people. Though their initial focus has been on highlighting tech for home activities, they are exploring the possibility of covering tech for mobility and employment. Vital Tech would like to reach as many people as possible, so please do share the site with your friends, family and colleagues.
Share this page
Join our mailing list
Get the latest on our campaigns, news and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list