Chosen university support 

We advise getting in touch with your first choice of university, or once you have accepted an offer as soon as possible, to start the discussion on what support they can put in place You can.

share with them a copy of your DSA assessment and ask them for advice and guidance in making sure that the ‘Non-Medical Help’ is in place.

Each university or Higher Education provider will have their own ‘Disabled Student Office’ (DSO), that is responsible for providing advice, information and facilitating support to be place for students with a disability.

Your chosen university will carry out a separate assessment to understand how they can best support your needs. We recommend familiarising yourself with the (DSO) before you begin your course, so you have the best start to university.

Know your rights at university

At university, the responsibility is on you to make sure that you receive the help you need. However, all Higher Education providers have a duty of care to ensure you are not disadvantaged as a student because of your visual impairment. Below are three external links which provide you with all the key information regarding your rights in education and what requirements should be met by your Higher Education provider.

Your rights in education

Equality Act (2010) 

Higher Education: consumer law advice for providers and students

Go to Step six: Taking a gap year 

Go back to Step four: Choosing the right accommodation