Step five: Getting support in place at university

Chosen university support

We advise getting in touch with your first choice of university, or once you have accepted an offer as soon as possible, to start the discussion on what support they can put in place You can.

Share with them a copy of your DSA assessment and ask them for advice and guidance in making sure that the ‘Non-Medical Help’ is in place.

Each university or Higher Education provider will have their own ‘Disabled Student Office’ (DSO), that is responsible for providing advice, information and facilitating support to be place for students with a disability.

Your chosen university will carry out a separate assessment to understand how they can best support your needs. We recommend familiarising yourself with the (DSO) before you begin your course, so you have the best start to university.

Know your rights at university

At university, the responsibility is on you to make sure that you receive the help you need. However, all Higher Education providers have a duty of care to ensure you are not disadvantaged as a student because of your visual impairment. Below are three external links which provide you with all the key information regarding your rights in education and what requirements should be met by your Higher Education provider.

Your rights in education

Equality Act (2010)

Higher Education: consumer law advice for providers and students

Essentially, The Equality Act of 2010 states that education providers should make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for disabled students to ensure that that they are not at a disadvantage in comparison to non-disabled students. Such reasonable adjustments apply to:

  • The admissions process
  • The examinations process
  • The examination process

When you meet with the disability support office you will work together to determine what the ‘reasonable adjustments’ are that the university should be making for you.

Things to consider

Below are some ideas of what you may wish to consider when contacting your University:

  • Arrangements for accessing your course
  • Arrangements for exams and assessments
  • Accommodation arrangements
  • Arranging Mobility Training
  • Guide Dogs on campus

Also, check out this helpful video below from Chris Ross, Disability Advisor from Birmingham City University who provides some great guidance and support on attending Higher Education:


Go to Step six: Taking a gap year

Go back to Step four: Choosing the right accommodation

Return to our Student Support page

Back to top

Share this page

Join our mailing list

Get the latest news, stories and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list

Join now