Careers advice and guidance

Thinking about what you would like to do after school and beyond can feel a lifetime away. It may be that you have a clear career goal in mind or just don’t know where to start.

It is important to start thinking about your options so that you can plan what subjects you want to study from year 10 or 12.

Every school should offer some form of careers provision from year 8 to 13 (12- to 18-year-olds) which includes impartial advice and guidance from a qualified careers adviser.

What is careers advice?

Careers Education Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) and related careers programmes can help to develop the knowledge, understanding, confidence and skills you need to make well-informed, choices and plans. It should enable you to progress effectively into further learning, training and work.

How is it delivered?

Career programmes in schools may include advice from a qualified careers adviser, group learning sessions, interview techniques, work experience opportunities and events, for example employer talks, open days, Careers Fairs and Enterprise Days.

Can I have face-to-face careers advice?

All young people with a specialist education need or disability (SEND) should expect to meet with a careers adviser each year from Year 9 to 13.

What you discuss with your careers adviser should link directly to your preparation for transition on from school and feed directly into your Education and Health Care or SEN plan.

Does my school have to deliver careers advice?

All state funded schools in England have a legal duty to provide careers support as part of the curriculum. Your school must ensure you have direct contact and information from training providers about apprenticeships, T-Levels and other technical qualifications and academic routes. This is called the Baker Clause and your school will be inspected on how well it does this.

How can I find out what support is on offer in my school?

Your school should publish details of its careers programme on their website. The school careers lead and SENCO can provide detail on how it can made accessible.

What can I do if I don’t receive any careers support?

If you don’t receive any careers support in school there are different options depending upon the reason.

If the careers support doesn’t consider your needs fully, or you don’t receive any support, then speak to the school careers lead, SENCO or your QTVI.

If this fails then contact your local SENDIAS service, particularly where the absence of careers support is having a direct impact on your plans for transitioning from school and relates directly to support outlined in your Education and Health Care or SEN plan.

If your school doesn’t have a careers programme and you are missing out you should talk to someone like your Head or Deputy Head teacher. Your school should have a formal complaints procedure for you to follow.

Or contact our Student Support Service for further advice and guidance. You can contact us via our dedicated email or call our student support line on 0203 757 8040.

Our line is manned every Tuesday and Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. Outside of these hours you will be asked to leave your name, number and a short message and a member of our team will get back to you.

Back to top

Share this page

Join our mailing list

Get the latest on our campaigns, news and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list

Join now

    Have you found this page useful?

    Please help us to improve our website by selecting one of the following options:

    If you would like to contact our team directly please email