What is a…habilitation specialist?

Habilitation and Rehabilitation Officers of the Visually Impaired (ROVIs) are trained mobility and independent living specialists.

Habilitation is the one-to-one training of a young person that starts with their existing skills to develop their mobility, navigation and independent living skills. They can provide support from birth through to adulthood.

How they can support

Their support can be particularly important during a time of transition (moving into or on from secondary school) or when undertaking a work placement.  They can help young blind and partially sighted students to become confident and familiar with new settings.  They may also be able to provide some basic awareness training for staff in those settings.

Where they are based

They are often part of or work closely with the same sensory service team where a Qualified Teacher of Children and Young People with Vision Impairment (QTVI) are based.

How to access their support

Their support can be identified as part of an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP) or Special Educational Need plan.

A QTVI, Specialist Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or member of staff at school can help to make a referral into this support.

Join our Facebook group

Return to our Student Support homepage

Back to top

Share this page

Join our mailing list

Get the latest on our campaigns, news and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list

Join now

    Have you found this page useful?

    Please help us to improve our website by selecting one of the following options:

    If you would like to contact our team directly please email info@pocklington-trust.org.uk