Student dosh… the one stop guide to getting finance ready

How to fund your time at university can be a big concern for many students. How are you going to pay for your course, materials, accommodation, food, going out? The list of expenses can seem endless.

There are a number of ways in which you can fund your stay at university. Here, we highlight how Student Finance England can support your studies.

Full-time and part-time students can apply for:

  • a tuition loan to cover your tuition fees, which is paid directly to your university or college.
  • a maintenance loan to help with living costs, which is paid directly to your bank accounts in termly instalments.

Part-time students can apply to borrow up to £6,935 per academic year for tuition.

Tuition Loan

The tuition loan amount you receive depends on the cost of the course tuition fees, not on your household income. Students must generally be studying their first higher education course to be eligible for this loan.

Universities can charge up to £9,250 per year in tuition fees. You can apply for a tuition loan, which is paid directly to your university or college.

You only start to pay back the loan once you are earning over £27,295 a year. The amount you pay is based on your salary, regardless of whether tuition fees are £9,000 or £9,000,000!

You will pay 9% of your wages over the threshold amount and the interest is calculated as the rate in inflation (+ up to 3 percent). Your debt will be wiped after 30 years- no matter how little or much you have repaid.

Maintenance Loan

This is to help with your living costs and is paid directly to your bank account in termly instalments.

The maintenance loan is paid into your bank account at the start of each term, once you’ve registered on your course. The exact amount you can borrow will depend on:

    • your household income (your parents’ household income if you’re financially dependent), or your own income (and your partner’s if applicable) if you are over 25, married, have a child or live independently.
    • where you live while studying
    • when you start your course
    • what year of study you’re in

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

This is a grant which is available to support with the additional costs students’ with a disability may face in accessing studies. This includes costs for travel between accommodation and university, equipment and non-medical help support.

Read our DSA guide outlining the key things that you need to know about accessing Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Postgraduate studies

Postgraduate student finance works slightly differently. These loans are not based on household income and are distributed evenly across each year of your course. The loan is paid directly to you in termly instalments – and should be used for course fees and living costs.

Students can apply to Student Finance England for:

  • a master’s loan up to £11,222.
  • or a Doctoral loan up to £26,445, you can apply after you have started your course, but the amount you receive will be capped at £11,222.

How to apply

The Student Loans Company is responsible for administering these loans or grant. They are a non-profit making, government owned organisation

Click here to find out more and how to apply to them directly.

Additional funding support available

For detailed information on additional funding for financing your studies at university, check out Step three: Financing your studies at university  in our Six Steps into Higher Education guide.

Start organising your spending now!

Download our helpful student finance budget worksheet

Check out the other sections in this guide...

Join our Facebook group

Return to our Student Support homepage

Back to top

Share this page

Join our mailing list

Get the latest on our campaigns, news and events from Thomas Pocklington Trust by joining our mailing list

Join now

    Have you found this page useful?

    Please help us to improve our website by selecting one of the following options:

    If you would like to contact our team directly please email